• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What made you do the Martial Art that you do?

I started martial arts because I wanted to know how to fight and for a white belt right now i can kick kind of high and it was funny on my last introductory class i was told by my instructor that i kick really good and she was asking me if i took any martial arts previously and i said no but she says i'm a natural in TKD. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've felt that through my life I've always wanted to do something in this area. I wanted to centre myself physically and mentally...to learn about myself and my limits as well as to develop my self confidence.

I remember going to the dojo and having a great time. After a little while now I feel I'm starting to understand the philosophy involved, and that seems to reinforce what the sensei teaches.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The instructor and his webpage.

I didn't know squat about Tang Soo Do before I joined. I knew that I had about 20 choices of martial arts clubs at school and, since I was searching online, I was more or less looking at those with info online.

I contacted the Shorin-ryu karate club and was basically brushed off by the instructor who seemed almost hassled to answer my questions.

I contacted the Tang Soo Do club and found an instructor who was easy to talk to, knowledgeable, and very eager to have a new student. He also had an incredibly informative webpage on what Tang Soo Do was, how the club was ran, etc. It was like getting a 40 page pamphlet on what to expect.

I'm still there. And the karate club is gone. I'm glad I made my pick. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

It seems that you made a good choice!

I wonder, did the karate club fold because the sensei was so rude to all prospective future students? If so, then it is a good think it has closed.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm sure it was a mix of factors. As far as I know, it was one of the oldest clubs on campus at the time. Perhaps the instructor was burnt out and tired of answering my beginner questions for 30 years, or maybe I just caught him on a bad day.

Or maybe he was doing one of those cryptic ultra-zen "tryouts" of a potential student. Either way, I never went. ;)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

For me it was because I wanted to do boxing but instead I went into Kickboxing and our instructor is a professional in Muay Thai so I also learned Muay Thai which was a bonus for me. Also I wanted to learn how to fight because I was going into junior high in about 7 months so I decided to join Kickboxing before I go to junior high. After I went into Junior high I didn't need to use any moves on any body :D

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

somebody told me i was a pretty could street fighter and saw how i could do basic moves like a side kick of spin kick well so they said i should try martial arts like karate. i did and now i can not stay away.

falcon kick!!!

• 1 month later...

Welll I took TKD when I was 11 for about a year. Wanted to do it because of watching Ninja turles. But I wasn't really into practiing the moves a whole lot. Eventually my mom took me out a year later.

Also when I was 17 I had af riend who was a good street fighter. He gave me some weird advice. He said alot of football players take balet for better balance and controrl of there body.. So I thought I might do that so I checked out a Ballet dance school then on the way home on the corner of the intersection to are house. I see the Karate sign and stopped by there. I just was looking around. The instructor was offering me a free private I was hesitant at first but ended up taking it. Next day saw some hot chicks taking one and I helped out on it. During my private I learned how to get out of a double hand wrist grab by pulling against the oppents thumbs. I thought that was so cool. I didn't learn defense against grabs in TKD whe I was younger. I enjoyed the concepts of pulling away from the thumb. So i joined also due to the fact that I thought the cute girls were joining at the time. Sadly they didn't join. But I stayed with the instructor for a long time. Also along the way his instructor became mine and he was showking me a diffrent style and teaching mapproach that I enjoyed a bit better so I more or less went off with him and also found a BJJ instructor I liked alot and was with him for a couple years until I joined the army and left all that behind. Now I need to get back into training. I train on my own. but you can only improve so much with solo drills.

-Jeff