• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FASTEST style

Lets face it. Some styles have training methods and principals that allow for greater power generation than other styles i.e. shotokan. Some styles stress and train for faster attacking. What do you think is the "fastest" style and please don't say its based on the person because that is obvious but which style do you think will make a person fastest? Based on what I heard I would choose either american kenpo or wing chun.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it all depends on the person, how they train, what they do with their training, blah blah blah you've heard it all before, i just wouldn't have felt right shooting out an answer without establishing that first. on that note i'll put out wing chun, however, note that i know almost nothing about most of the martial arts out there, it just seems to me that wing chun seems to emphasise linear techiques, which are always faster that circular ones, and the wing chung guys i've seen have always been really really fast. that and boxers. boxers are usually really really fast too. perhaps it has something to do with an emphasis on hand techniques...? :-?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

American Kenpo is both fast and powerful. But fast is not allways better. We learn that there are many times you want to delay a strike, maybe just a quarter beat, so that he has time to react. Example: upperecut to the solar plex- if you wait just a second his head will come in range of your knee. Knee strikes make use of the largest muscle groups in your body, giving great power. Also, you can help him over by craneing the back of his kneck, which gives a little more momentum to his reaction; and your knee meets his force to compound the effect. Of course, if your shot didn't land just right, and you aren't going to get the reaction, another fast move might be necessary.

With proper body mechanics, you can have some fast, powerful strikes. But we need to learn when to move fast and when it might be better to move slow.

Linear strikes are quicker, but circular moves can also be quick. Another way to increase speed is to eliminate wasted motion. Strike from point of origin, never chamber first. Learn to flow- instead of pulling your fist back after a punch, convert it to an elbow strike, for example. Stay loose until your strike makes contact, then momentarily tense for the blow. Footwork and stance changes add to both speed and power. Make your strikes blocks and your blocks strikes- a two for one thing, cuts time in half.

Just some thoughts. These concepts are found in a lot of martial arts styles besides Kenpo, so there's a good chance yours uses at least some of them. Flow is the biggest thing I see lacking in a lot of arts, but there are several that do a great job of it. Wing Chun and JKD, and all the internal arts I know of, have good flow. Most any CMA and FMA also.

Be interesting to hear what other arts use these, or other (I didn't list them all), concepts for speed.

Freedom isn't free!

Efficient is more useful than fast. As boxers have showed us in many fights, you can tired out your opponent by not letting them get you. They will expend too much energy and get sloppy in return. Tactics are more important. Western boxing is not the fastest, there's more efficient ways of striking that don't use any recoil and are extremely effective. It's just that it is not put on display and promoted with millions of dollars behind it. I mean no disrespect to boxing, I'm a big boxing fan. It's just that there are more efficient ways of fighting, than boxing.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Lets face it. Some styles have training methods and principals that allow for greater power generation than other styles i.e. shotokan. Some styles stress and train for faster attacking. What do you think is the "fastest" style and please don't say its based on the person because that is obvious but which style do you think will make a person fastest? Based on what I heard I would choose either american kenpo or wing chun.

You would consider shotokan a power generating style? I wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I consider shotokan to be weak, compared to other karate styles. Shotokan is too rigid.

Efficient is more useful than fast. As boxers have showed us in many fights, you can tired out your opponent by not letting them get you. They will expend too much energy and get sloppy in return. Tactics are more important. Western boxing is not the fastest, there's more efficient ways of striking that don't use any recoil and are extremely effective. It's just that it is not put on display and promoted with millions of dollars behind it. I mean no disrespect to boxing, I'm a big boxing fan. It's just that there are more efficient ways of fighting, than boxing.

there's more efficient ways of striking that don't use any recoil

How can a strike with recoil be effective? unless you rely on ending a fight with one strike thats not very practical.

You can strike without recoil of the arms by using your body movements to create the strikes. Also when someone attacks you shift offline and allow them to crash into your fists while you are rooted and lounge forward, their weight and your weight will be crashing together against his face or wherever your fists are. You are also not accounting for kicks which are strikes as well. Stomp kicks are very fast and come out of nowhere and can be done from in close under the radar, try it sometime. Also, from a strike and kick can be followed by a throw and a stomp to the head or wherever you want. I by no means think this is easy, but it is possible and efficient. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"