• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a good karate school

martialartsresearcher

do you think i should join this karate school in VA or not?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. do you think i should join this karate school in VA or not?

• yes or no
    • yes or no

I'd be interesting in knowing which branch of Shorinryu he is practicing and who he trained under. Shorinryu is a small system compared to say, TKD, and from my experiences in it, the general way of thought is "quality over quanity".

Sure, there's has to be exceptions to this, but the majority I believe are smaller schools with smaller enrollments, giving you more one-on-one with the sensei...which is a good thing.

:karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright guys i got more info on this school and the liniage of this shorin-ryu karate school is choshin chibana, plus they also belive that in order to under stand this form of karate--shorin-ryu-- it takes time and that is why the school gives 7 weeks of training. and i agree. but what do you guys think? thanks guys. :)

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

alright guys i got more info on this school and the liniage of this shorin-ryu karate school is choshin chibana, plus they also belive that in order to under stand this form of karate--shorin-ryu-- it takes time and that is why the school gives 7 weeks of training. and i agree. but what do you guys think? thanks guys. :)

Seven weeks of training before what? Is there a grading or something at the end of it? I totally agree that karate takes a lot of time to understand; many years usually! Personally, I think it's a good thing that the club offers 7 weeks of training in the introductory package, as it will probably cut down on the number of people who quit after the first couple of lessons because they haven't instantly turned into Bruce Lee... lol

:)

A.~ 1st Kyu Brown Belt

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

they do give you a colour'd belt if you do well plus they even give you 1 private lesson before the 7 weeks of training just to see if you like the shorin-ryu karate. :brow:

7 weeks to your first colored belt? A bit quicker than I test, but within reason. How many classes/week, and the length of each class?

the class is 45 minutes monday thru thursday from 7:00 pm to 8:15 pm. but im not really sure when they give you to a higher kyu,im just guessing, sorry for any misunderstanding.thanks guys. :D

Hang on a second here, gotta take off my shoes and use my toes for counting. :roll:

Hmmmm...7:00 - 8:15 is 45 minutes? Dang! I'll bet this is that new math, huh? lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

So..whether class is 45 minutes long, or an hour and 15 minutes long (whatever)...4 days/week I'd say yes, by how I teach anyway, you'd very possibly be about ready for a belt test to 9th kyu.

Chibana lineage? Good stuff - go for it. Of course, check out the normal McDojo-signals - if you see coloured uniforms that have multiple badges in them, run. But if they look traditional and tell you openly the lineage and are open when answering the questions...go for it.

Chibana's lineage belongs to so called "kobayashi" (other way to read their way of writing "shorin" - the style I train writes "shorin" as "sukunaihayashi") -faction that comes from Anko Itosu.

While traditional training may be occasionally boring (lots of repetitions, not much flash), I'd say it pays off. And, well, at least I personally find the history aspect to be a nice extra.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland