• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A contious decesion

fireka

*mArTiAl_GiRl* it seems to me that you are onto a good thing with the karate. You're receiving good instruction and are obviously doing rather well. If I was you I would stick with it and form a strong foundation. You will find that learning new skills with strong foundation much easier than if you go wondering off.

There are many things that I wish to be doing in my martial arts but due to family and work commitment I can't. I am frustrated but I must make the most of what I have got, I can learn the other stuff later. I am sure like me you have plenty of time too. Make the most of what you have right now......good luck.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi by full time martial arts person I meant you have time to spend the same amount of time others work for a company doing martial arts instead.

here's a link for you:

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/videos/u_kata.html

can I have my reward in this life please! ;)

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

let me tell you my daily rutine, then i will let you decide, because i dont know if i spend a full eight hours or not:

I get up at four thirty in the morning and shower, shave, put on my clothing for school. I look in the mirror that i practice kata in fornt of and say, "I come here with only Karate, empty hands, i have no weapons, but should i be forced to defend myself, my princibles, or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong, than here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." then i pray for about a minute.

Beofre i go to the bus stop i run around my neighbor hood which i think is about 2/3rds of a mile, maybe a full mile, im not sure. I get on the bus and go to school. During lunch i like to read something martial arts related, sine my other half of my life is devoted to my other passion, writing. Usally its something like Isshinryu history and Kata, the biography of Funakoshi, Sun Tzu's art of war, Book of the Five Rings, ect.

When i get home i do my homework, and then do something social for a few minutes, call a friend, come to this site, something. Then i usally write fiction, sometimes its martial arts related, sometimes not. I go to work, if i work that day, at five. I get a fifteen minute break if i work more than four hours and in that time, i practice kata.

at least twice a week i make sure i spend a full hour in my gi training in technique and kata, i try to fit in more, but i also have to do stuff because im in the Navy DEP, and i am the leader of a comedy troop called "Sausage Gone Bad." but the Navy stuff often invloves creed study that improves the mind with similar principles to the Karate creeds and precepts, or physical exersise.

so im not sure, but i know i took a pledge to make as little time in my life wasted as possible, so if i don't have anything to do, i will find a mirror or a wooden plank and practice technique. Even on the bus sometimes, i will practice Seiuchin breathing.

Do i qualify?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

fireka don't worry about what I think about you. ;)

it sounds like you take your training very seriously. That's good.

I do believe that training with others in a class is the best way though. You get the friendship of your fellow fighters, the ability to watch various others perform, and get instant instruction rather than develop any bad habits

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

no, i couldnt make friends in the dojo, those people drove me crazy they were like zombie's or something. when i finnaly starting talking to people it was when we were competeing in the IWKA in Tennesse and people started talking to me because i was funny, and i don't think they had ever seen that before. They acted like they were laughing for the very first time or something, it was just wierd, and still they shyed away from me after that and i don't know why. I liked training in the dojo because my master was a good one and i got solid training. There was even this fourty year old man from Germany who was a green belt, he acted like he got pissed off when i defeated him in a sparing matxh, they were crazy!

I will go back to a dojo but not until i'm in the Navy and iv'e settled in, it will have to be worked around collage and everyhting else, but i do have the option, if i want, of going to Okinawa and training in Master Shimabuku's original Dojo.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I feel fortunate that apart from the odd strange person who always left after a few sessions I only met nice sane people when I trained.

If there were any 'tough guys' who wanted to go into killing mode when sparring then one of the instructors would fight them. They would weave, block, dodge, never hurt their opponent and make them look silly.

phew!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu