• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many students?

How many students are there at the club you practice? Mainly interested in adults but juniors as well if you wish.

At my club between 1 & 6.

Also what rank is your instructor?

Mine = 5th dan

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have about 25 students, and I just got my 4th dan. My school has been going for a little over a year.

My instructor is 5th dan, getting ready to test for 6th, and although for many years he had less than 10 students mostly due to outside factors, he now has over 200.

I regularly train with 10 to 15 adults, but I know there's way more than that. I'm guessing around 30 who regularly attend class (between day classes and evening classes), and about 20 who are "off and on."

My instructor is 5th dan.

Laurie F

my instructor is 4th dan in the traditional 5 level black belt system

I found that comment interesting. A "traditional" 5 Dan system? I've never heard of that. Anybody else?

As far as I know, the traditional ranking for any art that uses belts is a 10 dan system. I also understand that judo "technically" uses a 12 dan ranking system, but nobody, including the founder, ever got higher than 10th...correct?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah...about the subject of this thread. I have between 8-10 students that come on a regular basis. I've had as many as around 75 in the past when I was trying to make a living teaching the MA's, but I am teaching out of a single car garage now behind my house, and space is limited.

Quality over quantity is the rule here. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've not familar with a traditional 5th dan ranking system. All that I've heard of involve 10.

I found this out about the 11th and 12th dans in the judo ranking system. Hope it helps.

At one point in the early 20th century Dr Jigaro Kano founder of Judo and usually credited as the inventor of the ranking system had included 11th and 12th Dan rankings after he had been awarded 10th Dan, he said "There can never be an end to learning, when you reach the top of one mountain there is always another one to climb".

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

8 most of the time once we had 12 people on the mat most we've ever had.

5 Dan

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"