• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry if I'm wrong about ATEMi being a form, But i was just saying that Judo does have striking in it.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but they are not allowed in shiai (competition) and are not randoriwaza. You will only see them in kata or if your teacher is inclined to let you practice them in defense situations.

I would choose boxing over Judo, one reason being boxing gives great fundamentals for a well rounded fighter, it also builds speed and builds an unbeatable endurance

Brown/Black belt - 3 Stripes

Kuk Sool Won of Petaluma, California

not in the same way, a boxer becomes a better fighter because he can endure alot more punches, also... he gets in alot better condition, he's got more stamina. Judo isn't as much moving and jumping around as boxing, although strength is more important in judo then in boxing, I say this out of personal experience in both!

not in the same way, a boxer becomes a better fighter because he can endure alot more punches, also... he gets in alot better condition, he's got more stamina. Judo isn't as much moving and jumping around as boxing, although strength is more important in judo then in boxing, I say this out of personal experience in both!

I too have experience in both. Was your school competitive? I train at a school with VERY competitive guys - one of them was ranked #3 in the world a few years ago. I guarantee you, it builds stamina. you can say that boxing doesn't teach one to endure punches, but I can say that boxing doesn't teach you how to breakfall...

Actually it does (teach breakfall), not exactly in the "ukemi" way but still, so you wont get KOed from falling with your head to the ground! and no, my school wasnt competitive, the sport itself, I meant, doesnt build stamina and you dont need to run 10km every morning to do judo and be good at it... ofcourse you can do it if you want to, but if I would train judo regularily then I would rather lift weights more and only go running a few times a week and so on... judo doesnt need you to be able to move around like crazy all the time, boxing does! But ofcourse all lead athletics have to stay in shape... so if your guy was ranked 3:rd then I guess he had to build stamina more effectively then the sport itself actually demands from normal practitioners... I mean playing ping-pong doesnt actually demand for you to be in perfect shape, still the leading practitioners in that sport probably are!

And ofcourse, it has been said before and I'm going to say it againg, it depends on the school!

And ofcourse, to get to the actual point, what is more useful in a self defence situation on the street, breakfall or enduring punches?

Ps. I really like judo and I especially like judo combined with boxing, I think thats the ultimate self defence, and I'm probably going to start in judo in a few weeks!

no, my school wasnt competitive, the sport itself, I meant, doesnt build stamina

randori 5 min rounds for 30 mins every class and see what happens to your stamina...

and you dont need to run 10km every morning to do judo and be good at it... ofcourse you can do it if you want to, but if I would train judo regularily then I would rather lift weights more and only go running a few times a week and so on...

if you are competing you need to balance it. Technically, you don't need a vast amount of strength to do judo. Naturally, it helps, just like having stamina to compete balls out for 5 mins does. you need to do both.

judo doesnt need you to be able to move around like crazy all the time, boxing does! But ofcourse all lead athletics have to stay in shape...

sure it does. Maybe you didn't know this since you didn't compete, but in competition, you will get penalized if you don't attack every 10 seconds! you do have to move - alot!

so if your guy was ranked 3:rd then I guess he had to build stamina more effectively then the sport itself actually demands from normal practitioners... I mean playing ping-pong doesnt actually demand for you to be in perfect shape, still the leading practitioners in that sport probably are!

exactly - we're competitive. If you compete, you HAVE to do that. Boxing is competitive, so the training is geared towards those lines. A competitive judo school will train the same way.

And ofcourse, to get to the actual point, what is more useful in a self defence situation on the street, breakfall or enduring punches?

both. If you get taken down, or fall and hit your head, then what? Look at how bjj guys dominated in the early UFCs, before the cross training started. They tucked their chin, covered the sides of their faces and shot it. That was all they needed to endure the punches.

Ps. I really like judo and I especially like judo combined with boxing, I think thats the ultimate self defence, and I'm probably going to start in judo in a few weeks!

I agree, the two would make an excellent combination.

I agree, the two would make an excellent combination.

I'm glad you agree on that atleast :D

Well ok, normally I would just dig up everything I can and argue every one of your points... but not now, because I really like judo and I dont want to thrash it any more than you do, and I love boxing!

But I still think that boxing overall demands more stamina, and judo more strength, although both requires both... I mean Lennox isn't exactly weak and I'm not saying that judo practitioners have bad stamina...

both. If you get taken down, or fall and hit your head, then what? Look at how bjj guys dominated in the early UFCs, before the cross training started. They tucked their chin, covered the sides of their faces and shot it. That was all they needed to endure the punches.

Yes, about this, It is a self defence street situation... Ofcourse it pays of more to endure punches, unless you actually are fighting a judo practitioner, but that isnt the normal scenario, its against a average joe who doesnt practise martial arts... he will most likely hit, not grapple...