• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

anyone with experience in kickboxing can do it. just aim your kick a few inches lower. just aim your punch a few inches lower. what i mean is, just because boxers are given limits in the ring doesnt meant they dont know how to step outside those rules on the street.

a broken arm throws no punches

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When things get going in the street, your not going to think " hey, if i just alter my normal technique like this, then I can do this etc. etc." You are going to do whatever your instinct is. If you have trained over and over and over to punhc, you will punch. On the street, instincts and reactions keep you from being beat down. Boxing is excellent for that, because boxing sparring creates a situation similar to that, not exactly the same, but similar. I've said it before, all styles should incorporate some of the methods of training boxers use. I box, and would face most martial arts stylists anyday, BUT if they trained the same way boxers do, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

i sort of disagree. while yes, you do what your instincts tell you to before you even know it- on the street i know to kick the knee and not the thigh. maybe its just my instinct on the street, but i dont really train aiming for anyones knees. i just know to when the time comes. same thing with punching a guys throat.

a broken arm throws no punches

Yes... I agree with thuggish.

When Im on the street I think that I have to watch out for low kicks and also, I always try to remember that Im not wearing gloves, so I should as far as possible punch the body, or then just swift punches in the nerves (in the upper lip for example). Partly to spare my hands and partly because a punch from me in the face could kill if I would get mad (just for the record, I have never been in a real fight, but I always think about this when someone has threathened anyone of my friends... just in case! 'Better safe than sorry').

Also I think in lines like if the other guy has got a beer bottle, what I should do in that case etc. and then you dont react like in the ring, you still have the instinct, but it can be slightly altered.

We have probably all been trained to react in so many different ways so its probably very seldom that we would react in a certain way just on instinct... theres always many possibilities!

Yes... thats what I'm saying... as I said, I have never been in a REAL fight, that doesnt mean that I havent been in similar situations, I've been threathened with a beer bottle and I've been punched, but the difference is ofcourse that I've never faught back. That doesnt mean that I havent been mad, and I have thought about those things, like when a guy stood up screaming at my friend, then I also stood up, and at that moment I got really mad, but I was still thinking about what I was going to do if he attacked me, like punch him once in the body and stuff like that, so that I wouldnt hurt him to much (so it wouldn't be visible), but so that I still would have calmed it all down...

Now what I mean is this; if a guy throws a right hook at me, I would naturally avoid the punch and then punch him back on the chin... now since this is deadly if you dont have your chin down like in boxing, I wouldn't do it in a street fight (unless the guy is really big). In a street fight I would either be sure not to hit any of the leathal areas (throat, chin etc.) or I would just put a hard punch in the body, while if it is a small enough guy for his ribs to break... well, then I wouldnt fight him at all!

I don't have to react in a certain way all the time... but if I would have to do something like kick the other guys knee caps... then it would be more difficult... I would, and I suggest everyone else to do the same, choose the appropriate targets that your own MA has taught you, for example; if you dont punch the throat in your MA... then don't do it... theres plenty of good targets in you own MA!

I would pick Judo because of the effective throws, locks, and ground work.

There is striking in Judo by the way, the form is called ATEMI. Atemi has punches and kicks. But not all schools teach ATEMI, but it is an original form in Judo. Certainly they will not teach you how to throw in boxing, so I would go for Judo.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.