• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you find time to train, when you are teaching alot?

Hi---

To anyone who has their own dojo or club..... How do you find time to keep your own training up while balancing your dojo, family, job??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!! :D

"If it is not hard, it is not worth doing."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It does get very difficult sometimes, and I'll admit that recently i've put ona few pounds that shouldn't be there, but you just have to make the time and the training a priority.

You have to train on your own when you get a chance, for one. i have classes on Saturday mornings, but once all the students leave, that leaves me with a few hours to get in some training on my own.

I am fortunate that another master in my association has a studio nearby that i get to train at once in awhile. My association also offers regular instructor's classes that are taught my senior masters and occassionally by the grandmaster, so that is a big help as well.

Mostly it just comes down to making the decision that you're goin to do it.

I don't get to train physically as often as i did when i was just a student, but I do train whenever i can.

as with anthing else in the martial arts, it comes down to balance. Too much of any one thing either burns you out or makes you complacent.

Thank you TangSooGuy---

I know what you mean by balance. For the first 4 years of my training, I trained 5-6 times a week, sometimes double sessions. I am a little burned out now..... But I still love it and I love to teach. I am just worried that if I scale back on my training (3-4 times a week), my skills will suffer and I won't have as much to offer my students? Am I thinking incorrectly?

I find that my personal training increases more when I am actively teaching! For one thing you have to work a lot harder to make sure your techniques are on point so you can demonstrate them to your students. You should be able to explain the meaning of any move (bunkai) and be able to do katas forward, backward and pick-up in the middle etc.

Same goes for sparring --- unless you have an injury --- you should be able to perform the techique you expect your students to perform

KarateForums.com Sempai

Scaling back to 3-4 times a week should not result in a lack of progress. You have done extremely well to train as often as you have over a 6 year period 8) Your training does not have to be all physical, having your head in a book or cruising the web also counts as study. You mention that you feel " a little burnt out", a step back from training will help you with this.

You could try this

Whilst teaching the adult class, instead of standing at the front observing and correcting, train yourself, you know, do the moves with them. If you don't already. My sensei teaches this way and I have followed his example. You will earn tremendous respect from your students (providing you set a fine example!). It is surprising how much you can pick up on your own technique as you watch others for their mistakes or make them aware of what you are focusing on whilst performing the techniques. You have to push yourself hard so that you do not loose face. :karate:

Edited by telsun

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Thank you TangSooGuy---

I know what you mean by balance. For the first 4 years of my training, I trained 5-6 times a week, sometimes double sessions. I am a little burned out now..... But I still love it and I love to teach. I am just worried that if I scale back on my training (3-4 times a week), my skills will suffer and I won't have as much to offer my students? Am I thinking incorrectly?

There is such a thing as over traing, and that can result in burnout, plus actual physical injury from tired muscles/joints.

Quality over quanity is a good rule to go by I think. 3-4 times/week of good, quality training should keep you in GREAT shape, and your skills well tuned. Unless of course you're going for national ranking or full contact perhaps? Yopu'd have to talk to some of these others on the board about that then.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Scaling down to 3-4 times a week won't hurt, trust me. i'm lucky if i can actively, physically train 2-3 times a week right now.

That said, I'm training mentally all the time. I constantly find myself thinking about and researching new topics to cover in class, new ways of presenting older topics to my students, digging deeper into application of techniques, and mostly, beginning to see the links that exist between all the different aspects of training, and how, in the end, it's basically all the same if you are doing right. I actually probably do more reading, thinking about, and writing about martial arts right now than I do active physical training, but that is just where I am right now, and I'm sure the path will take me back to times of more agressive physical training again.

Bottom line: you have to do what is right for you. I'm not saying do what is easiest, or even what is hardest. just take some time to think about what your goals really are, and figure out the best way to accomplish them. As frustrating as it can be, sometimes you have to take a step back in order to move forward.

Thanks for the input. I do demonstrate the techiniqes and occaisionally peform them; depending on the level of students I have. I generally get up next to the new person or the one that is struggling and perform the technique. Maybe I should step back to 2 times a week for a couple of weeks. I also do cardio kickboxing, resist-a-ball with weights, step aerobics and run 2-3 times a week. I think I am just insane sometimes----not getting any younger.

I have some pretty good books that I have not had time to read, maybe I should concentrate on that a little more.

THANKS SO MUCH----us martial artists need a group like this.

Personal home page: http://mybubbles.mine.nu

Dojo page : http://www.urkarate.com

:)

I do demonstrate the techiniqes and occaisionally peform them; depending on the level of students I have. I generally get up next to the new person or the one that is struggling and perform the technique.

That's how I used to teach. Honestly, give my way a go, even with a beginners class you can do the moves slow with them. It really makes alot of sense.

Do you still receive instruction in karate? Just you haven't mentioned it.

I think I am just insane sometimes----not getting any younger.

You don't seem to be getting any older either..........hubba, hubba :brow:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Hi telsun, I do still receive instruction about 4 times a week I train with my Sensei. I am just a little burnt out right now and was thinking of scaling back and wanted some advice from other professional martial artists. Thanks for your comments :) You live in England, that is awesome!