• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Contact - Light Contact - No Contact

In renshinkan we use some gear to prefent injuries, and then fight with full contact. Of course there are rules where you can hit or kick. no contact in back and below belly. But you can hit or kick in head for example.

i can understand why you can't hit on the back , but below belly ?? do you mean that low kicks and leg sweaps are dinied ????? what about knees to the leg , denied as well ?? thats more like TKD , whering gear and no hits below belt .. i don't belive in protective gears also ( unless if they are gloves )

Yep, no lowkicks and no sweaps, though we train them in dojo, but we dont use them in kumite. But we train WKF kumite also, so there you can use those techniques. Using protectice gear aint so bad, it is much more fun when you can actually kick or hit as hard as you can on to the opponent.

http://www.synapse.ne.jp/~renshin/english/index2.html there is a link that got few pictures and tells about this kumite.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't belive in protective gears also ( unless if they are gloves )

in kyokushin, you can't hit in the face, correct? In venues where face shots are allowed, you should believe in a mouthguard too.

The question I pose is this: How far does full contact sparring go?

Example: Say someone has been taught attack methods ((Weather be striking or grappling)) that are really gear going for the vital parts, such as groin, solar plexus, knee caps, elbows, inner thighs, ribs, Ect. Ect. and destroying those vitals in an instant to stop an opponent. In the sparring sessions that are "full contact" are they expected to attack those areas with full on feriocity, where sucessful execution can lead to serious injuries?

What seems to be the case in this disscussion is that "full contact" sparring means, hitting hard and fast, while avoiding the vitals so no one really gets hurt, worse being a broken nose or a sprained finger which won't really slow training down to bad. But does that really rectify that "full contact" is the best way to spar?

Let's face it, getting a well placed kick in the knee area will probably lead to 3 months loss of training. I don't care how big or tough someone thinks they are, a well placed kick will break that knee. So why execute somthing as dangerous as that on a sparring partner. Yet at the same time, those kinds of techniques do need to practiced. Full contact sparring for this type of precision training is not suitable.

So in the end... what really matters? Simply a balance. Yes you need to learn how to take a hit to the chest, abdomen, head, outter thigh, shoulder ect ect, and full contact is excellent for that. But there is no reason to have to learn now to take a hit in the knee cap, or floating rib... it aint worth it.

That is where padded training, light contact, and slow sparring is great for. People get the experience of hitting and being hit in those vital locations, without the risk of serious injury. And if someone wants to hit vital areas with all their force, find a dummy, or get a punching bag and mark off areas that would be area points.

in kyokushin, you can't hit in the face, correct? In venues where face shots are allowed, you should believe in a mouthguard too.

Ya , we can't hit the face , you haven't read that i do Muai tai as well , and i had a black belt in kickboxing .. but still , cause my background is initially kyokushin , i disslike mouthguard cause i can't do the hissing thing i do in kyokushin rounds, if i am to choose , i will never put it in my mouth :lol: ....

Edited by y2_sub

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Using protectice gear aint so bad, it is much more fun when you can actually kick or hit as hard as you can on to the opponent.

i just noticed the link , gonna check it now :D , you can always hit as hard as you can without using protective gear , thats the spirit of kyokushin

Using protectice gear aint so bad, it is much more fun when you can actually kick or hit as hard as you can on to the opponent.

i just noticed the link , gonna check it now :D , you can always hit as hard as you can without using protective gear , thats the spirit of kyokushin

But that can cause much injuries, I got them too much allready :D

Though that would be kind of interesting to try, but there is only one club in finland that trains Kyokushin.

But that can cause much injuries, I got them too much allready :D

Though that would be kind of interesting to try, but there is only one club in finland that trains Kyokushin.

Some people say that one of the disadvanteges of kyokushin is the number of injuries among kyokushin students , well , that i agree with , i have been injured in lots of places and wheenever i have tournament or things like that , i get injured , but it's not that serious thow , sooner or latrer will recover , and it's good to know what a real strike can do to the human body

Some people say that one of the disadvanteges of kyokushin is the number of injuries among kyokushin students , well , that i agree with , i have been injured in lots of places and wheenever i have tournament or things like that , i get injured , but it's not that serious thow , sooner or latrer will recover , and it's good to know what a real strike can do to the human body

I know what a real strike does. You dont even have to hit with maximum power and it hurts like hell, and it can cause lethal damage. one hit in the head can kill a man.

I know what a real strike does. You dont even have to hit with maximum power and it hurts like hell, and it can cause lethal damage. one hit in the head can kill a man.

All it takes is about 10 lbs. to break a knee in a straight position. Now obviously people don't fight with straight legs, but then again most fighters will attack with a small 10 lbs of force.

Ya , we can't hit the face , you haven't read that i do Muai tai as well , and i had a black belt in kickboxing .. but still , cause my background is initially kyokushin , i disslike mouthguard cause i can't do the hissing thing i do in kyokushin rounds, if i am to choose , i will never put it in my mouth :lol: ....

Nah, I read that you trained it. If you fight though, a mouth guard is required, so I just assumed you'd never been in a ring. same with kickboxing. Also, if it was on an amateur level, headgear is required too.

lol, what hissing thing?