• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

do's karate have groundfighting moves

martialartsresearcher

don't know a lot about Shotokan but Wado Ryu had plenty of locks, a few throws not much groundwork

seriously outside of a ring fight who the hell would want to wrestle someone to the ground and grapple?

sounds like a great way to get a kicking off the opponents mates who are probably nearby

it would be nice to think you would have a 'fair fight' but in this country it's almost guaranteed if you are on the floor various people will kick you while you are down :(

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way of Peace is what Wado Ryu stands for.

nothing wrong with running away.

except I have dodgy knees so I have to stand and fight. grrrrrrr :)

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

• 1 month later...

Karate does have groundfighting, but often it isnt taught, which i think is a shame.

If you cant study groundfighting full-time at least try and learn some of the basic positions, takedowns and how to "ground n' pound"...

In my DoJo but not allways taught in the style we have alot of Judo and Jujitsu moves added. Grappling makes up bout 20% of our class.

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke

Karate techniques are just as effective from the ground as they are standing. You just need to practice doing them from the ground. Obviously I'm not referring to all standing techniques. Use some common sense.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Shotokan does have ground fighting moves. The Guard is hidden in the tekki kata. Shotokan also includes a lot of throws taught to Funakoshi by Kano in Toyko. Its not BJJ or Judo but we do have enough ground work in the traditional Shotokan teachings not to get us killed down there.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."