• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It is all in the instructor. I have 25 + years in kenpo and here is my thought. Kenpo, when taught as it was in the old school more of a theory than a specific approach. Kenpo should be based on rapid fire combos from off angle. Footwork is also key in any good kenpo school. But like many other things, kenpo has become as fragmented as JKD, if not more so. In the old days, they called Kenpo the art of overkill. Or Hawaiin streetfighting. It should be brutally effective and efficient. Hapkido is something more of an integrated system. It is a bit like TKD and judo together. IT does have more hand techniques though. Hapkido means the internal way of coordination and power. It is typically pretty circular. Hope that helps.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

What's the difference between kenpo and hapkido and which is more efective?

What kind of Kenpo? There are several, and most are petty effective if taught well. But...

I do American Kenpo, and it is an effective style. Taught correctly, you'll get a full arsenal pf strikes, effective moves at all ranges, and a thorough understanding of principles.

I don't know a lot about Hapkido, but it has a reputation as a good style and an effective martial art.

I'd suggest you visit both schools and try them out. See which is right for you. Get a feel for which trains what you want the way you want to learn it. Which one will you go to when you don't feel like going anywhere? You've picked a couple of good styles. If the schools are both good, then it really comes down to what fits you best. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

Hapkido is going to be more grabbing. Lots of counters for grabs, countering strikes with grabs. The grabs are typically combined with the circular motion, mentioned prviously, to manipulate the attackers energy against them and allow for throws, joint locks, joint breaks, soft and hard tissue strikes, etc.

It still has a fair amount of striking and kicking as well, but the emphasis is on the grappling. If you have an issue getting in close to your attacker, Hapkido will take some getting used to.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

A lot of what we train for in HKD is to wait until you are attacked (hand, foot, grab, choke, etc) and then to respond by using your opponent’s energy against them (deflect a punch - counter strike, joint lock from being grabbed, shoulder throw from a knife attack, etc). In fact one of the tenants of HKD is there are to be no initiative attacks. HKD is also a very close-in martial art. You are working right next to your attacker (within inches if that). There is also no "fighting" aspect to HKD. The "put up your dukes and slug it out" approach doesn't work with HKD like it would with TKD or other martial arts. Strictly self defense. HKD is an "internal" and "peaceful" martial art similar to Aikido. In fact as I understand it, the founder of HKD was a student of Aikido during the Japanese occupation of Korea. Following WWII and the end of the occupation he was able to develop HKD.

This is my experience with HKD. Others may have different experiences. I also have no experience with Kenpo so I cannot comment on that martial art.

I hope this helps.

Ron

World Musado Federation

Bong Soo Han IHF