• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate, Karate whats the difference?

Eye of the Tiger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hiya

Essentially, karate is a term that specifically refers to those, primarily unarmed, defensive traditions of Okinawa and Japan. Kenpo (aka Ed Parker) actually traces its roots to Hawaii. Shotokan, is one of many Japanese karate styles, like Wado Ryu, ****o Ryu, Gensei Ryu, etc. The term, Karate, has been co-opted over time, to refer to just about every unarmed defensive methodology, in much the way that "Xeroxing" no longer refers specifically to using a photocopier made by the Xerox corporation, or that "Jelly" has come to refer to any flavored gelatin dessert.

Hope that helps :smile:

Melanie

---------------

Be nice if I get this right one day...

Ok no one seems to be awnsering so I'll be more pecific.

Difference between Shotokan karate and NORMAL karate. What I mean is the karate where you look in the sports directory, you find martial arts and find a club that sais 'karate'. Not kenpo or some of the other millions of styles just the average karate. If this doesn't help then I guess you can say the most popular type of karate there is.and compare that to shotokan karate.

[ This Message was edited by: Eye of the Tiger on 2002-05-20 14:26 ]

Shotokan and any other style of karate with a name and a heiritage differ from generic karate because of the heiritage. They have traceable roots and a "founder".

Shotokan traces itself to Gichon Funakoshi a student of Itosu. The style stesses equal use of hands and feet, deep stances, use of koshi (hips for power) and reciprocal action.

Not really sure what you are looking for though. Does this help?

Shotokan is to Karate

as Mustang is to car

its just s specific type.

I knew those SAT's would pay off LOL....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Listen to G95Champ

To my knowledge, Kickboxing was developed by the karate-ka who wanted to practice full-contact point sparring, and do away with tradition.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)