• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New KarateForums.com Migration Date: September 5

Hey all,

Following up on our announcement on May 21 and the member testing period that went from May 31 through June 18, with staff testing prior to that, I'm happy to announce the next step in our migration to new community software. :)

On Thursday, September 5 at approximately 10pm Eastern, I will take the site offline. At that point, I and a developer friend of mine will start to work through our long migration document. This will ensure that the process goes smoothly and that all community contributions are properly and thoughtfully preserved. After which the site will be opened.

Passwords

We have worked really hard to ensure that your information will be preserved. The most challenging piece of this is your password. I didn't want you to get locked out of your account. Through testing, we have a high degree of confidence that your password will work. Once we ironed out the issues, all passwords that have been tested have worked.

The New Site

That aside, the site will have a lot of similarity to our current one, as that was the goal. But it will include all sorts of new, handy additions. Yes, some things might not be where you expect them. It'll take some time, but it's an important step for us, in modernizing the site in reasonable and smart ways, while preserving the community for the future.

Timeline

My hope is that we will reopen on Saturday, September 7. In the best case, we might be able to open on Friday. I think the "good" worst case puts us at a Monday launch. While the very worst case means we don't actually migrate, have to stop, back up, and figure out what happened. In which case, I would simply put the current site back online. But I doubt that will happen.

Once the site is down, you'll be able to find a status page at https://www.karateforums.com. I will be updating this page as things progress, so please feel free to check back periodically to see how things are going!

It's going to be a lot of work, both in the migration and after, where we have to update our habits, our documentation, and make adjustments, but I'm excited to launch this new site for the community. :) Thank you for your patience and understanding as we make it happen.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great news!

You have put so much hard work into it (and into the current site!) that can only say thanks for all the effort you put in, and have done over the years

Very exciting! I know this is a years long project that is finally coming to a close. I can't wait to see the efforts pay off!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Awesome! I am looking forward to the new site.

Karate no michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Thanks so much for the replies and support, DarthPenguin, John, Brian, Ken, and Fat Cobra! It means a lot. :) We're inching closer...

Hey all, just wanted to say that we're still on track here. :) Going to be a wild, probably somewhat bumpy ride, but I'm excited to go on it!

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks for the question, Ken. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Your password should work. But if for some reason it doesn't, password recovery will be the next best option, as that will send you a message to the email address you have on your account, which will allow the software to verify it is you - and then you can set a new password.

The third option will be to contact us via the email (you can also email me at patrick@ifroggy.com), but I take account security seriously, so I will need to somehow verify you are the account holder. As long as your email is up to date, you'll be good, regardless. :)

Thanks,

Patrick