• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fake vs Real Self Defence How To Tell The Difference

There is a fuzzy line in martial arts and that is differentiating between what works and what doesn't in self defence.

Of course there are the obvious examples of what doesn't work and those that don't.

As all martial arts involves sone kind of self defence mechanisms; including those that are sport driven.

Here is a short video that tries to explain the differences

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

How I view self defence with just a few points to consider.

As really what works and what doesn't in a self defence situation, relies mainly on how the individual handles the moment correctly.

Personally in self defence situation I have encountered, I have remained calm.

I quickly estimate if the odds are drastically against me.

If the odds are considerably unfavourable due to being out numbered, then drag the moment out and stay calm no matter what happens, often times this lulls the atmosphere and the aggressors, walk away.

Staying calm means not to be drawn in to a fight and not to become overly excited or panicked.

As oftern times there is an intimidation provoking factor that tests your calmness trying to encourage you to fight.

Interesting enough calmness can be very intimidating, as it shows that there is an inner strength of confidence that awaits, which puts an element of doubt into the aggressors.

Calmness and also ready at a moment's notice, as all it takes is the flick of a switch, to fight or flight, if the need really reaches that point.

Calmness in stressful situations is a very good thing to have in times oftern when most people panic.

Self defence is viewed, most oftern as being a victim or a target, where the aggressor is a type of weapon.

As aggressors consider themselves to be a type of hammer and those they attack as a type of nail, by changing one's self as a type of hammer breaker, changes everything.

As self defence is to not being any type of target moving or standing, instead to be a type of weapon, moving or standing, that meets the situation.

There is a knowing oneself well enough of what to do and not to do in a self defence situation, prior to a self defence scenerio, it is understanding and coming to terms what cowardice really is, which by knowing oneself is half the battle already won.

https://youtu.be/lHQAv2Mj-zk

Agree or disagree, what really matters is understanding what can best be done right when in the wrong predicament?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are some basic and general guidelines which must apply for something to work in self-defense. Firstly, it must be simple and second but not less important is that it should allow the defender to escape. Escape is always the ultimate goal.

In addition to this, the effectiveness of any technique depends on distance and timing. When these factors are off, either it will fail completely or be much less effective.

There are some basic and general guidelines which must apply for something to work in self-defense. Firstly, it must be simple and second but not less important is that it should allow the defender to escape. Escape is always the ultimate goal.

In addition to this, the effectiveness of any technique depends on distance and timing. When these factors are off, either it will fail completely or be much less effective.

Cannot agree with you more Spartacus Maximus, excellent explanation. :bow:

These two words are like music to my ears, distance and timing. :nod: