• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Willie Williams Fighting a Bear?

EvilTed

Has anyone seen the video 'Strongest Karate Vol 2" ?

This is a Kyokushin Video from the 70s where Willie Williams fights a bear

(and I feel sorry for the bear).

What does show that is of particular interest to me, is the American Kyokushin experts of the day - basically the founders of World Oyama Karate training in New York and Alabama.

Some of the training looks absolutely insane!

This has got to be my favourite Karate video of all time :)

ET

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never seen (or heard of) a man fighting a bear before in a martial arts sort of fight, but I've had the opportunity to work with young grizzly and black bears in the past through a woman I dated, and believe me, if a man can use karate to defeat a bear, then he's fighting a VERY old, sick, crippled, drugged or PET bear...not a "REAL" bear!

Think about it for a moment. A bear, ANY BEAR, has far more muscle mass, fat, larger bones, strength, raw power, and yes, (paw/arm)speed..than ANY man has. Ask anyone that has had some good contact with a bear, and he will tell you that bears are incredibly fast with their front paws, and trust me...I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 240lbs, and I have no doubt in my mind that any bear, if it wanted to, could knock me on my feet in an instant and pretty much do whatever it wanted to do with me, and there wouldn't be a darn thing I could do about it. Assuming of course I didn't have a large calibre firearm handy of course. :D

But hand vs paw...nope, there's not a shread of doubt in my mind that a bear can easily, if it wanted to, subdue and do whatever it wanted to do..to a man. ANY man!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Show me a man who can fight unarmed (and unarmored) against a healthy bear and win. He does not exist.

If they are fighting sick old crippled drugged pet bears, where is the honor exactly?

But then, Oyama fought sick bulls too, didn't he? Maybe Kyokushin is doing some sort of primitive euthanisation program.. ;)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

i have seen it.

I think of it as a black mark on the history of Kyokushin.

very old bear, muzzeled, being attacked by a man.

meanwhile they have probably drugged the bear.

pathetic attempt for PR of the style 30 years ago.

I think that Willy Williams was a very strong fighter, and

I would have rather watched him try the 100 man

Kumite or something like that. the rest of the video

is fun to watch.

Sorry EvilTed, i guess we disagree on this one.

Or maybe we do since you feel sorry for the bear.

I dont think the bear was ever in danger of truly being harmed

by the man, although you can see they have a firearm

trained on the bear the whole time in case the bear gets

too out of control.

osu

No we agree.

I think all animals are sentient beings and should be treated with respect, not beat upon by humans.

I like the video for everything else, not the bear part.

I only mentioned this as it is such a 'stand out' part of the video that anyone who has seen it would remember it.

Osu!

ET

• 2 months later...

i have often thought about this...the katana....because i have done alot of hiking up in the mountains and often carry my katana with me, along with other smaller weapons....i think that a skilled individual could manage....if he was lucky...

the bear is fast, plain and simple, but if you did get lucky and managed to swipe off a leg, which can be pretty easy with a nice katana, then the battle is basically over....as long as you out run the bear, what is the sense of it though????

i think it is POSSIBLE to win, but i will leave it at that.....the bear will keep attacking you....even after you have slashed its throat open or wacked off a limb....so basically if you are really LUCKY....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger