• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey, im just wandering if anyone has any point sparring tips for me and anyone else who is interested. I just would like to know how people would fight in point sparring!

The mind is more powerful than the fist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules are made to be bent! hehehe j/k

But anyways in WTF sparring you can't push an opponent but lotsa times it's effective if you suddenly rush in with double fists and connect (in a sort of pseudo striking/thrusting/pushing) to the body. As they are reeling back from the slight 'shoving' effect, then you can throw your scoring kick :smile: Kind of cheap but hey it's sport so you can do anything as long as the rules allow it! hehehehe

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

That's why I can't stand sparring. You can't push, but if you make it look like a punch then it's ok. Ugh. You can kick someone in the crotch in some TKD tournaments, correct? We don't train for sparring in KSW very much and I'm glad. If someone kicked me in the package, my retaliation would be to break their kneecap. Of course, that's after do an equipment check. I guess a sport is all it is.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

ZR440, you'll notice if you travel to other schools, the emphasis on sparring differs slightly. There are some that train is a fashion similar to above. Others, which I prefer, allow you to use the techniques and takedowns you've learned. We just have to be VERY careful not to hurt each other. :nod:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Yeah, even if your school doesn't emphasize sport and emphasizes real life application, you're kind of not supposed to go full force in sparring class and stuff. If you put somebody in a coma or kill them or destroy every joint in their body, the chances of them returning to class the next day in a good mood and willingness to learn are quite slim.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Understood. I am all for rules to prevent injuries. I just am not a big fan of sparring in general. It doesn't prove much to me. I'd rather watch a pro boxing match. Now give me a demonstration of defensive techiniques against punches and kicks, all for points, and I'll pay money to see it. Most tounaments around here don't offer that, but next month at the Michigan KSW Master's Expo I'll get a chance to see it. I wanted to participate, but my knee doesn't.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.