• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

common mistakes in sparring

My common mistake in sparring is withdrawing or backing up too much. My sensei tells me to either counter and punch, or step to the side but do not back up. He saids only do it as part of a strategic strategy. I do it alot. What is your mistake in sparring?

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are not all of my mistakes but these are a few of the rules that I try my darnest to follow.

Don't throw just one technique.

Don't walk or run into the correct distance and kick.

Never throw a technique when you know that you will not be able to land it.

Always use footwork or faking to bring your partner closer to you.

Always plan on your partner having a counter-attack.

Always plan on countering your partner’s counter-attack.

The idea of the counter-attack is to overshadow your partner’s attack. You want your counter-attack to be superior to and more devastating than your partner’s attack. If your partner does a technique on you, it is crucial that you immediately counter-attack with a more devastating technique(s).

(Note: I came back to edit this cos I did forget to include MY biggest mistake which Cory reminded me of ... I posted this before ...I can't stop laughing sometimes!

1st dan Black Belt Tae Kwon Do (ITF)/ CardioKickbox/Fitness Instructor

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-27 20:09 ]

hey ct, im sure some of you may have read the forum i set up about sparring, how i was with some brilliant fighter, who i think is a world champion, who just went to hard on me, when in reality it just me not keeping my guard up

you must remember ct not to do anything dirty, are excessive, if a good fighter is coming hard on you, think, he/she is just fighting how he would fight with another good fighter but since your slightly inexperienced he/she is able to catch you out, and it may seem that he/she is being agressive when she/he actually isnt,

but never retaliate with a jab or a cross to your head with a full force punch or kick, never aim below the waist or the groin area and always keep your distance, your aim of sparring is not to beat the living day light out of your opponent, but to learn how to be a better fighter, try just permanetly keeping your guard up using only jap and a front kick , but always keeping your guard up, by doing this you will realise that she doesnt seem to go so hard on you, like with me with the world champ in my club i started to this and then started to realise that he wasnt coming too hard on me after all, i bet when you first had a sparring match with her, you trying high kick moving all over the place and not really keeping you guard up and found out later that you got your ass kicked, stick to the prime basics then work yourself up, remeber,a black belt student will probably only use the move that is taught up to an orange belt, therefore an orange belt should be able to take him on, if you know the basics you should be able to fight anybody,

use these following tips

1. Always always keep your guard up

2. Block and counter

3. Dont step back from a kick, step to the side and counter with a round kick

4. Always hit, and perform moves, always do something, dont wait for him/her to land a punch first

5. Dont stand locked in a stance, change your stance and move at a rhytym

6. Dont do the predicable side kick over and over again, do it a few times, do a dummy , then follow with a jab

7. and if he/she is coming on you hard, come on him/her harder

my fav move in sparring , dummy step front kick, the person will drop is guard to stop the dummy, then his face is open , then follow with a lighting jab to the face

hope these tips helped

now im of to bed

-ad

[ This Message was edited by: ad on 2002-02-27 17:07 ]

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

I'm too nice to people as well....

" I'm sorry mate, did i break your ribs with my kick?... now i feel just awful. But at least it doesn't look as bad as ur nose since i smeared it across you face with that punch... Oh, is this YOUR tooth i found on the floor? Terribly sorry about that man... " :razz:

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

If your opponet uses a powerful kick and the shock from you blocking it stuns them, quickly counter attack *This is very helpful in point sparring*. This way you can easly when a match!

my mistke is kindness.

[ This Message was edited by: Kai_Jecht on 2002-02-27 18:22 ]

The mind is more powerful than the fist!

AnonymousOne, you are so wrong, kata and sparring is totally different, you don't go down in horse stances whilst sparring, and you have a realationship with your opponent; you've got to relate to him/her; close the gap and so on and so on and so forth.

Danh

Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing and My own style

Have no fear in front of your opponent

[ This Message was edited by: Bruce__L on 2002-02-27 18:21 ]

Danh

Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing and My own style

Have no fear in front of your opponent