• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

13yr old masters!!!!!!!!!

Alright i know most of u probably are wondering the same thing i am why do we see such young kids with blackbelts. My sifu has an old friend that he recalls her telling him that her 13 year old son was going for his 3rd degree black belt exam :bawling: riiight, i wanna know ur opinions on this subject and if anyone out there at a young age have a 2nd or third or whatever degree blackbelt, do u think u are worthy of it and why?

Thnx

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had all the material I needed for my blackbelt when I was about 15. My instructor would not test me until I was 18. He felt you needed to be an adult to truly be a blackbelt. At a younger age you can't understand the "true" meaning of the martial arts.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I really do hate it when society treats teenagers like idiots. I mean sure most of them are, but there are a few in there that still have a brain cell left. Yeah but anyway I know what you guys mean. You don't like it when you see such younger kids making the same achivements you have, so you tear them down to make yourselves feel better. Edited by BKJ1216

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I too at one time didnt believe a child should recieve a first dan until they reach an adult age. I had a conversation with a friend that has a school in a near by town. Though he himself dont have any Jr. blackbelts, he asked me to look into the future and what would I do if I have a child that starts in ma at 5 and works hard for the next 4 or 5 years to reach 1st brown. Should you tell them that they have to wait till they are 16,17,or 18 till they can test for black? We are a reward driven society and that child will prob not continue to practice with a goal so far into the future. What my friend offers is a Jr. bb and at a age of 16 they can test for adult black.

most of the time children at very young ages arent being shown techniques that would fullfill blackbelt requirements, for the simple reason that pre-teen down dont know the consequences of misuseing some of these techniques. young children are usually shown exercises that will build there coordination and so forth. so no I dont think a child should be awarded a b.b. until they reach the age of about 18. and thats if they start building from the basics at around 15 or so.I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but thats just my first opinion, but since I dont teach children I could be wrong.

I really do hate it when society treats teenagers like idiots. I mean sure most of them are, but there are a few in there that still have a brain cell left. Yeah but anyway I know what you guys mean. You don't like it when you see such younger kids making the same achivements you have, so you tear them down to make yourselves feel better.

I dont think thats it at all. Its not that society thinks teenagers are idiots, but they are certainly less experienced and not fully matured. A whole lot happens between the ages of 15 and 21. You have a much greater understanding of pretty much everything at 21 rather than 15. We arent selfish of our achievements, but it is our responsiblity to mold our youth. We want to lead and teach in the most effective way, one which is best for the child or teenager. At 15, I never would believe that my parents knew better than I what was best for me, but you know what? They did. They werent trying to tear me down to make themselves feel better.

Now, having said that, I dont think someone should have to wait until they are 18 to receive a black belt. I know plenty of VERY capable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dan 18 year olds. However, 3rd dan at 13 is rediculous.

Ryan

TKD/JJJ