• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okay, this is humiliating

fireka

i hate to even make this post, i just hope that you other martial artist are as respectable as your supposed to be and dont laugh to hard. First off, im very VERY deslixic, and one of the reasons im in MA is actuall to improve hand eye cordination. but i have a really embarassing problem now that im in the dojo. *sigh* i cant figure out how to tie my belt...ive had trouble with knots my whole life because of my deslixia, i didnt learn to tie my own shoes till i was 8, and now when i do tie my shoes i do it diffrently from everyone else. the ending product is the same but if someone sees me do it there like 'How in the-' and i just dont get how normal ppl manage to tie them. my sensai had to retie my belt for me last class, which was oaky right? because it was my first class. but i really dont want him to have to do that again on tuesday so could you guys please tell me some ways you tie yours so maybe somethig will click? ive tried a bunch of websites and i cant figure it out the way they explained them. i remebr what it looked like when Master Little tied mine for me, and im just trying to get to that result through foriegn methods now (kinda like i did thoughs shoes) thanks in advance for any post.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your seniors are there to help you with things like this. You should not be embarrassed. You come across in your posts like an intense, angry young man. Please let go of your anger and just practice. AS a beginner no one expects perfection from you. You are expected to be awkard and clumsy. Let go of your expectations and just enjoy learning Karate.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Fireka:

Try this.....start with putting your belt around your waist. Take the left end of the belt and shorten it to where you thing it'll even out with the right end of your belt when you wrap the remaining around your waist.

With me so far? :) Once your belt is completely on, take the right end, which should be on top and tuck it completely under the rest of the belt. Now once that is accomplished, pull on the ends in a diaganal(sp) fashion.

Fold the top end of your belt over the lower end of your belt and pull. This creates the knot for your belt. Hope this helps.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I wouldn't worry. I've been doing karate for about 10 months and still don't really know how to tie my belt.

I tie it in a way the looks half right, but itsn't right, but there's no way I'm going to ask anyone how to tie it properly now that I've been doing it for 10 months! :lol:

I actually got instructions off https://www.asksensei.com in the kids section last night and tried it the way they explained it and it looks a little better than the way I was tying it beforehand.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

wow! i had no clue about billy blankes! im putting that article in my MA notebook. ill try the belt tying technique in the morning and practice till i get it right for tuesday. And hobbitbob; i appriciate what your saying, but you dont understand. your right, there there to help, and i know im clumsy. but karate has been therefore me even before i started studing. i am in the middle of what feels like a great earthquake in my life and training is whats keeping me stable. the least i can do for karate in return for all its given me is show it, and it sicons, the proper respect they deserve and maul-wearing the uniform is unexceptable. i must be strict with myself in every detail to become strong, or ill still be clumsy on the inside even why i start to reach san kyu!

find the middle of your belt, middle of the belt goes on the middle of your stomach - wrap it around you backwards so that when the two tips of the belt come to the front of you the left tip is underneath the whole belt- and the right tip is over the top of the whole belt.

tighten the belt there - then get the right tip to go OVER everything then UNDER everything so it comes out the top of the doubled over belt (by doubled over i mean how the left side is under the belt so that it's almost like two belts are there) tighten once again - the next bit is the easiest bit

simply tie the most simple knot you can think of with the remaining tips and tighten. (by a simple knot i mean - Left over right, then under right then pull)

hope it helps

http://www.cix.co.uk/~matb/pages/techniqu/Belttie/belttier.html

http://www.combatteam.com/belt.html

http://www.stanford.edu/group/kenpo/belt-tie.shtml

These links go to sites with pictures of how to tie the belt. Everybody has to have help learning how to tie their belt in the beginning. When we have large groups testing we have upper belts move quietly to the back rows as belts are being presented to help the new underbelts tie their first colored belt.

Keeping a martial arts notebook is a very good thing to do.

oh thank god! that first link did it. still having a little trouble with proportions but nothing that dosent fix it self in a couple of tries. thank you.