• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anyone choked someone out to the point of passing out? I would like to know i can use this on the street for self defense without having to worry about going to jail for manslaughter/murder. Can you kill someone with these chokes if they just simply pass out?

fight til you die

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its possible, but not likely. I don't have the article here, but choking someone out with a blood choke isn't going to kill them as long as you let go when they lose consciousness. When I get my internet back at my place, I'll post the article.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

It takes around 4-5 minutes to kill someone with a blood choke.

I've choked about 20 people unconscious through training, competition and working as a bouncer. I've never had a single problem.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

1) Side effects of chokes

a) Unconsciousness occurs approximately 10 seconds (8-14 seconds) after choking. After release from the choke hold, the subject regains consciousness naturally (spontaneously) without difficulty in 10-20 seconds.

b) In hadaka-jime (naked choke) the pressure on the larynx and trachea produced excruciating pain but there was no pain in other techniques before unconsciousness.

c) The unconsciousness resulting from choking in Judo is mainly due to lack of oxygen and metabolic disturbances created in the brain, as a result of disturbance of cerebral circulation.

d) The appearance of flushing of the face is due to disturbance in pressure in the carotid arteries and jugular veins.

e) When convulsions occur, the EEG findings are very similar to a very short epileptic seizure.

f) Tachycardia (increased heart rate), hypertension (increased blood pressure) and mydriasis (dilation of the pupils) were caused by stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system (vagus nerve).

Tachycardia and hypertension may be also attributed to the carotid sinus reflex.

g) All other laboratory studies show changes that are similar to condition accompanying central shock. Choking in Judo acts as a stressor on the circulator and hypophysio-adrenocortical system.

h) According to their experience, no deleterious after effects remain after being "choked".

2) Blood chokes

a) Blood Chokes work by interrupting the blood supply and stopping processed oxygen from being delivered from the lungs to the brain. These techniques are generally the faster acting of the two types of chokes and can cause unconsciousness in as little as 10 seconds when properly applied. Blood chokes are employed by applying pressure to the sides of the neck blocking the carotid arteries to interrupt blood flow to the brain. Interrupting blood flow to the brain can be accomplished without a great deal of pain or discomfort during a confrontation allowing the opponent to be rendered unconscious before he is fully aware of what is occurring. While potentially very dangerous, attacking the blood flow to the brain is less likely to cause permanent damage if released soon after unconsciousness and recovery without long-term effects is generally high.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

JohnnyS, what happened when the guys you choked out while bouncing woke up?

I had a choke on a bloke here going back a couple of weeks ago, but let the choke go. He was pissed afterwards about it, so I'm thinking it may have been best to choke him out... or, he could have been more pissed when he woke up.

They generally wake up and don't remember what just happened. They'll usually have amnesia for about a minute, so a lot of times when they would wake up they were confused and i would tell them they were going home and they'd nod and start walking off. It's quite funny really.

Sometimes if the guy has been fighting for a while before-hand or was really angry they would wake up and want to keep fighting, but this only happened to me once.

TKD - Black Belt

If by "blood choke" you mean a naked rear choke or carotid restraint, you're talking about 15-20 seconds (or even less) is enough time to render someone unconscious. I don't think 4-5 minutes is correct, but I could be thinking of a different technique.You better let go WAY before then! I know, I have been choked out and choked out others in a class. If you hold on for too long, you can invariably cause brain damage or even death. You are starving the brain of oxygenated blood, in essence killing it if held too long. Once the person loses consciousness, you must take care to make sure he doesn't flop to the ground, which can cause neck or head injury. Release the choke the second you fell the person go limp, control his head and neck, and ease him to the ground on his side. Have someone call 911 and monitor him. If all the events leading up to the fight were done according to law, in self defense and no opportunity for retreat, then you have no need to fear. If you really want to test it, find someone you trust to apply the restraint. Let him cinch down fully and you tell me how long it takes before you get woozy. Not very long, for sure. Check out this link:

http://www.shouyuliang.com/newsletter/v4n3/v4n3a6.shtml

Mixed Martial Artist

I've never seen amnesia. One guy was in a rear naked choke that wasn't locked in good, so he decided to be "funny" and make fun of the guy applying the choke. This made the choker frustrated, and he clinched down more...and snap, he's unconscious mid sentence. Rick then woke up and finished his sentence...then wondered how the heck we all got in front of him when he "blinked"...he had no clue he had been choked out.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

I've seen a girl with a choke held on for a minute after she went out wake up okay.

Holding the choke on for too long is not something you need to worry about. Even with adrenalin pumping through you, you would notice that the person has gone limp. I certainly wouldn't worry about calling an ambulance - the person will wake up fine, generally in a second or two if you release the choke straight away. If you hold the choke (strangle) on for a few seconds after they go out, then the person will stay out for around 10 seconds.

For a common mata-leon choke (rear-naked), it generally takes around 9 seconds for someone to go out if they're doing nothing. If they're fighting and drunk, then they can go out in around 2-3 seconds.

There has been no recorded deaths in Judo from the application of strangles.

TKD - Black Belt