• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate vs Hapkido vs Taekwondo vs others

I'm new to the martial arts scene and now I am trying to find a suitable style for myself, can you guys help me? :-?. I'm trying to find a style that would suit my physical abilities. I am a short stocky guy, and one that isn't very flexible, but I'm working on that :P. I also play football. I'm trying to find something that I can practice. there are a couple of places down here in Socal offering lessons. There is Shotokan Karate, Hapkido, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, and a cople of other ones. For those that can help me please leave some advise. For others, go ahead and debate the pros and cons of each style; similarities and differences between each type can help too. :brow: .So can you experienced guys out there give some help to a potential newcomer to martial arts? :karate:

"Defeat is not defeat unless it is accepted as reality in your own mind"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we can help answer you questions, please tell us why you want to become a martial artist, and what you expect to get out of it in 1,5,10 and 20 years time.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

I wanted to get into martial arts for some self satisfaction. I want to train at something and become the best of my abilities. I want to learn more about the history and ways of old asia. I know this may sound corny right now but I just can't really explain why I want to join in. In the futrue I am looking for self disipline, self respect, self confidence, and maybe a sort of self defense. I'm not really expecting to get the things that I want, but I am willing to try and strive for those goals. Martial arts may help me or not, but I'm still gonna try. If you need to know anything else just ask and I"ll tell you. I hope that this is enough info for now. If not just drop me a little reply. :karate:

Of the ones you listed, I would suggest the Hapkido of Shotokan.

Now do you prefer emphasis on joint manipulation, throwing and controlling (Hapkido), or striking (Shotokan)? Regardless what you choose, make sure you sit on the side and watch a few classes first. Talk to some students and the instuctor before making a final decision.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

From what you've posted so far it sounds like your on track for your journey into the martial life. I say this because to me martial arts is about a way of life, and not just about learning how to fight and defend yourself. That's just one small part of it. The rest is based developing a strong mental, physical, and spiritual well being.

Since your in SoCal, you definitely have many places to choose from. Check into them, watch a few classes and talk to the instuctor(s), parents, students and get a feel for the place. All the arts you've mentioned all have something to offer, but it's the overall environment you have to be comfortable in. How are the classes, instructor(s), training facility? After all in the end you do have to pay at most places to lean your chosen style.

Do be aware of signing into any long-term contracts. There have been many posts regarding "McDojos" and their contracts. I'm not a big fan of contracts unless if you decide that it isn't for you, you get to get out of it and have your hard earned $$ refunded. However, that is never the case in many of these places that have you sign into a long term contract.

Good luck on your search and your martial journey :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

:D Thanks for the help guys, but I'm still a little iffy. :idea: The shotokan place here has been highly recommended from the people that I have spoken with. My uncle has even taken classes there and says it is the best he's even been to. Also they have a sort of reputation for being good, many people who have studied martial arts there have won trophies. I have been to a class once but that was along time ago. My dad wanted me to get into the martial arts when I was younger, but I knew that I wasn't mentally ready yet. Now I beliecve that I am ready for the commitment.

:-? What kind of styles are Goju and Isshinryu anyway? I've never really heard of them before. I was looking for an art that was more involved in striking, but also had a good and efficient system of grappling or locks. Then Again I was thinking about getting into one art first then taking the other at the side in a couple of years, but the question there is which one should I do first Hapkido or Karate.

Oh yea, and the Taekwondo place that I was looking at is located down my street. It is a very clean and well maintained place, it is supposedly part of this blackbeltusa thing. You can check out more about it on https://www.blackbeltusa.com. There was also a hapkido calss offered there too, but the one that I was looking at was a fully dedicated hapkido place. I hope this helps. :karate:

Are you in the San Diego area? I study Goju ryu, and from what you've said it might be a very good match for you. The dojo where my sensei trained is in Carlsbad, if that's close to you I'd definitely recommend checking it out & can send you more info.

I'm new to the martial arts scene and now I am trying to find a suitable style for myself, can you guys help me? :-?. I'm trying to find a style that would suit my physical abilities. I am a short stocky guy, and one that isn't very flexible, but I'm working on that :P. I also play football. I'm trying to find something that I can practice. there are a couple of places down here in Socal offering lessons. There is Shotokan Karate, Hapkido, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, and a cople of other ones. For those that can help me please leave some advise. For others, go ahead and debate the pros and cons of each style; similarities and differences between each type can help too. :brow: .So can you experienced guys out there give some help to a potential newcomer to martial arts? :karate:

What do you expect from martial arts,ballet type moves called katas or actual self-defense moves?

If you want self-defense forget about all these traditional arts.

Shotokan Karate does katas so forget about that,Hapkido I'm not sure what that art is like so I can't comment on that,Tae kwon do is a joke,because they also do katas,and most of their moves are based on kicks ,kicks,kicks and most if not all of those kicks are in the air,it's more show then effective.

You want true self-defense or street-defense,there's pankration,shoot fighting,savate,muay thai kickboxing,boxing,judo,wrestling,jujitsu.The best are mixed martial arts styles like the first three I mentioned.

So that's what you do if you want self-defense if you don't care for that ,and all you want is ballet type moves then go ahead and do traditional arts.

Edited by MuayThai Fighter

Sorry chh but I"m not located around San Diego. I"m more around the Ventura county area which is between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. Thanks for the help though. Also, does anyone here have an idea of what kind of martial art that I would best suit me. What I am looking for and what my abilities/body type is listed above somewhere in past posts. The places that are near me that are my top choices are Shotokan Karate, American Hapkido, Taekwondo, and Tang Soo Do. Can someone please help me? :karate: