• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

8 year old WHAT??!!

Should an 8 year old really be an ADULT shodan blackbelt?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should an 8 year old really be an ADULT shodan blackbelt?

• a. no, that's way too young.
    • b. yes, he can be an adult blackbelt
    • c. maybe, if he has the skills

[color=blue][/color]

[size=6][/size]

Did anyone read in the paper about the 8 year old blackbelt??? Am I the only one who finds it rediculous that one of the few times M.A. get's media attention, it's for an 8 year old blackbelt? No one is gonna taker us seriously. In my school, the tigers ( little kids) blackbelt, when they come of age, changes into a young adult green belt, or something of that nature, and when the young adult becomes one, it changes into an adult purple belt, or something of that nature. Am I the only one who thinks that an 8 year old blackbelt is really not possible? I mean, the belt says his rank, but what are they basing it on? He can't be old enough. For a TIGER blackbelt, maybe, but an adult shodan blackbelt?? Come ON!! Any responses, please???

Please, please, please, please reply,

Grrrrrrrrr,

Dee :karate: [/img]

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dee,

This was taken from an ITF forum written by a Mr. Billy Council

"I was standing in line at the grocery store today and happened to look down. On the cover of "World Weekly New" tabloid it said world's youngest ninja. 9 month old black belt."

Interesting....

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

I totally disagree with have young blackbelts there is no way a children could ever understand or fully appreicate what it means to be a black belt. At my dojo we may not grad for shodan unti;l the age of 18. This would seem llike a problem (since I joined at age 8 ) but frankly I like it it teaches you patiences and really seperates the people who come to train seriously and are commited from the people that simply don't care. Edited by LeaF

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

"I was standing in line at the grocery store today and happened to look down. On the cover of "World Weekly New" tabloid it said world's youngest ninja. 9 month old black belt." I saw that to! what is up with the mc dojo's?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

We have a 6 yr old who is three belts from an black belt. :o BUT she will not get here black belt for years to come. I, and our dojo, do not agree in having really young black belts. This is that far cause her father is the sensei, so she has practiced all of her life...

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

In the Okinawan/Japanese systems wearing a black belt is a sign of maturity.... in other words, the student has demonstrated mature physical growth, knowledge of the physical basics of their system, has demonstrated, over time, an ability to make sound judgments and has shown mental maturity.

In terms of the definition of a "black belt" there are many different ideas. Some systems promote students who are good athletes ... can kick high, punch hard, or win at tournaments. There is nothing wrong with this idea, but a "traditional" view of the black belt implies mental maturity. So if it's "sport" karate ... maybe getting a black belt means something entirely different!

I do believe there should be a "junior" black belt rank to recognize a 'child's' proficiency. Can they teach? Sometimes. Sometimes better than some adults. Can they make sound judgments about people? Sometimes. But not always. That takes experience and years of development. Should we "hold them back" until they are 16? Sometimes but not always. Those 'children' who demonstrate the ability of black belt status should be given junior black belts (IMO) and a full ranking should be held off until mental maturity has been demonstrated.

I believe there are different situations regarding a child receiving black belt rank. The master at our school has 4 children 2 of which received their black belts at age 9 (they have grown up in the dojo and they live and breathe TKD everyday!)

.... Is there such a thing as "senior citizen" black belt ... cos' I've seen some "older" students IMO that shouldn't have a black belt.

I don't think you can compare a senior to a child. Seniors are fully mature (mentally of coarse alothough there are exceptions) so they should be able to handle the mental protion of being a black belt. Physically well the can vary. I have seen some seniors who can kick the living $hit out of people a third their age. And others who well have troble doing push ups but the compensate for this. By doing other tasks... around the dojo and for the dojo community. I definatly believe they have earned their place because I believe the mentiallity of the person is the most important thing, and te still did the katas and stuff...

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

No....No.....and..........NO

Im sorry to those who disagree but there is no way a 8 year old or a kid below High School IMO can be sound enought mentally to have a blackbelt. I made mine when I was 18 and a SR. In High School and I flet I was not old enought then.

I personally will not test my kids for Shodan until they get to the age of 16. Then I will only do it for "good kids" in class, school, and home. Respect is hard to earn and eaisy to loose my blackbelts will represent me and our school and my teachers to the best of their ability. That can;t be done with out mental and emotional development.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."