• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Genealogy... finding your family roots?

KickChick

....since KarateForums is becoming so "worldwide" I was wondering if any of our members are interested or have done ancestry tracking of their roots.

My dad passed away when I was 3 and his ancestors came from England ... so I have been working on accumulating info on that side (paternal)....(to no avail as most of his side is deceased).

My mom's (maternal)side is from Italy ... (all small villages)....

Since I've been on KarateForums I have been unable to devote any time to continuing my searches for info.

Anyone else doing the same ... maybe we can help each other out here with names and locations!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ive always been interested in this, but never knew how to go about it, i found some stuff on the internet i think it was by using google but almost everywhere i looked they wanted money, so i ended up giving up as i didn't trust them

I had to do something like this for a school project last year. I didnt really put a lot of effort into it though. Just enough to get an A+. I would like to find out about my history though. The stuff that was required for the project wasnt very informative (visual aid,family tree that goes back 3 generations,family recipe,etc.) and school is the worst enemy of my motivation. I work faster w/o a deadline and thats all school has. How are you doing your research? I don't have any contact w/ my dad's side of the family, so I'm kinda in the same boat as you. (except my dad just left me about six years ago. He didn't pass away.) The main thing I know is that my ancestors on that side were Vikings. *puts on helmet* :grin: Aside from that, I know almost nothing about my history.

after reading this i just started looking again :smile:

stuff like this place does my head in http://www.onegreatfamily.com

it found 25 family trees for my surname, i click on it and it wants me to register, i click on it, then it says i got a 7 day trial and after that they want money :sad: . i dont trust any place on the net with money

When I was in high school (early 70's) I had an uncle who did a lot of geanealogical research.

Most of my family roots go back to the late 1700's when the areas that are not kentucky, Tennesse and the surrounding areas first opened up. They walked over the mountains and settled into the new areas. Most had came from England, Ireland and Scotland. Many were Scot-Irish.